Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Descendants - DM Review

What a lovely film. A tender performance from George Clooney, full of restraint and subtlety, genuinely moved me. What could have been an immensely annoying film (essentially a tale of the problems of a millionaire white man) had me in tears. I think this was done by forsaking melodrama and hysterics. This paid dividends for me in this perfectly paced film. Masterfully and confidently constructed, the relationships forged on screen were believable and won me over.


It is between George and Jean for the Best Actor Oscar...my money is on George


Score: 7.5/10

3 comments:

  1. Ditto. This is a wonderfully underplayed and perfectly paced movie. Totally believable family dynamics (well played the young actors) and a screenplay that asks thought provoking questions about loss, forgiveness and, unsuprisingly, personal legacy. Clooney was top drawer playing against type - has 'dad running'was superb. And who'd have reckoned on a) Matthew Lillard? Random. b) Hawaii being such a grim looking place.My favourite Alexander Payne movie to date..

    score 8/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie so much. I was trying to find the main reason for this, because quite rightly my manager told me it is a simple basic storyline. I think for me it was the casting. They all worked so well together and it seemed like a proper dysfunctional relationship. I fell in love with the credit sequence at the end. George as usual was great, but the girls shone through this. Other supporting actors made it not a George Clooney film. One of my favs of this year, I would deffo rush back to see this again. Sweet, warm film. Ubaid.

    Score 9/10

    ReplyDelete