Friday 16 August 2013

Only God Forgives - DM Review

Stunningly and confidently shot, this film creeped along at a slow pace. This added suspense and made some scenes unbearable to watch.

And this was my main beef with this film. It was too much for me. Both in terms of the violence but also the coldness of the film. Very little characterisation and therefore ultimately, for me, no real reason to watch.

KST was great and brought the film to life. The rest I could take or leave. Although, the aforementioned scenes did affect me at the time, I have not really thought about them since which vindicates the film's vapid impression on me.

On the whole, disappointing. Looks good but left me cold. I applaud the bold direction and NWR making a film he obviously wanted to make. Although, my trip to Bangkok in December looks slightly less appealing now...(note to self) avoid the karaoke bars.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment