Tuesday 28 January 2014

DM's Films of 2013

So here are my film picks of 2013. A little late, but here nonetheless.  First up, I was very remiss in my film viewing last year. I guess you could call it a fallow year and I wasn’t into cinema as much as previous years. I have already turned this around and seen a couple of crackers already in 2014. I have also caught up with a few 2013 films over January.

Like Ian, I found it easy to find films that I did not enjoy, were disappointing or distinctly average. Here are the worst of them:

Worst Films of 2013
Oblivion – I’m not sure why I even went to see this film (I blame PG!). Absolute dross and a complete rip-off of several other much better films. Offensively so. Somebody should stop Tom Cruise or advise better script selection.
The Paperboy – A mess of a film that failed to deliver for me (boom boom). Trashy, but not in a good way.
Les Miserables – worst film for me by far. So long, so boring. Poor direction with lots of close-ups of actors’ faces being sad and emotive whilst singing. This purposeful thrusting of melodrama upon me resulted in me feeling quite the opposite. I wanted them all dead so that the film would be over. I would actively avoid having to see this film ever again.

Top films of 2013 (in no particular order, but I shall pick out my favourite 3)

Side Effects – An enjoyable, cleverly constructed and thought provoking thriller. Successfully steered itself the right side of ridiculous with great pay-offs.
Compliance – A cracking little film from the “truth stranger than fiction” genre. Well acted with relationships subtly built to a chilling climax.
Behind the Candelabra – Interesting biopic. I knew little about Liberace. He seems to me almost mythical…like unicorns! How could something like that exist? Great acting from Matt Damon who surprised and delighted me.
Gravity – Utterly ridiculous plot: Check. Sandra Bullock: Check. Schmaltzy back-story with faux emotions to explain our heroine’s plight: Check. BUT despite all these negative points this still makes it on my list due to my pure exhilaration and the genuine breath-taking moments caused by the direction and special effects. The best 3D I’ve seen to date. I’m not usually taken in by all by that but that is exactly what made it for me.
In A World – Entertaining comedy from writer/director Lake Bell about a female voice-over artist for movie trailers trying to make it in Hollywood (and therefore outshining her dad). Sounds crappy from that description but it was fun. This was classy comedy…more “Bridesmaids” than “Bride Wars” if you get my drift.
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa – I was wary going into this but so so relieved at the end. Alan superbly made the transisiton to the big screen maintaining all that I love about the TV character. It felt like a proper film rather than an overextended TV episode…Jurassic Park!

3. Before Midnight – A welcome return instalment from my favourite on-screen couple. Are they too middle class and self-indulgent? Most probably. But the on-screen chemistry is great and utterly believable. Essentially a conversation that lasts for 2 hours but had me gripped throughout. I look forward to catching up with them again in a few more years.

2. Blue Jasmine – A film not entirely without faults but a great film. A woman’s emotional breakdown is documented with pathos, style and a few laughs along the way. Great structuring and use of flashbacks. Cate Blanchett turns in some of the best screen acting I have ever seen and the whole film hangs beautifully around her barnstorming performance. The final scene is a classic.


1. Django Unchained - Slick, almost effortlessly cool and an absolute joy to watch. A relatively simple plot played out chronologically. Great performances from Leo, Waltz and Jackson but the real star (as in all of Tarantino's films) is the dialogue. Another classic from a classic director.

No comments:

Post a Comment