Friday 9 March 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - MD Review

The first ten minutes of this movie contains some of the most unnecessary racist lines I’ve every heard in mainstream cinema. From cockney Maggie Smith in the “oh bless ‘er” confines of her wheelchair, no less. No matter how her character arc developed – and it was obvious that it would – I couldn’t get the racism, or the giggling complicity of the Fulham populous I was unfortunate enough to be watching it with, out of my head.

Equally, the preposterous contrivances that pitched these characters into India and the telegraphed ‘journeys’ they made were grating to the extreme. The more I reflect on this movie the angrier it has made me.

I know it’s only a bunch of middle class actors have a paid holiday…and it doesn’t mean anything.  But they should know better. It was actively racist and passively xenophobic, oh and they killed off the gay. And as I write it’s number one in the box office…grrr

Score 1/10 (takes into account retrospective anger)

2 comments:

  1. I want to watch it now... just so I can get angry to...yay

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay - i expect screaming and the throwing of popcorn at the screen at the very least. Sounds like one that Yasmin would enjoy participating in...Oh and welcome buddy - good to see your comments x

    ReplyDelete