Wednesday 14 March 2012

Michael - DM Review

My main problem with this film is that I do not understand why it was made. I do not understand its intent. I can hypothesise...perhaps it is a cold, clinical, non-hysterical look at paedophilia; perhaps a study in the mundaneness and banality of evil; perhaps it is an attempt to show paedophiles have day jobs as office workers, take skiing holidays and go to supermarkets to buy pickles....so what? 
This film taught me nothing. It tried so hard to be objective that all emotional engagement was absent. The only emotions I felt were boredom, anger and frustration at this film.
I didn't want obvious signposting or explicit explanations of the situation but more characterisation  was needed. If the film's intent was to "humanise" sex offenders, then some explanation is needed. You can't just say things happen.

Score: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment