Sunday 27 January 2013

CF Films of 2012


Sorry for the delay but here’s my list… I wish I could say it’s because I’ve spent the last few weeks seeing all the important films I missed but there are still quite a few important ones I’ve yet to catch (The Master, Holy Motors, Moonrise Kingdom etc).

Thanks for the link to the release schedule Markie – it was a good memory aid.

Worst movie of the year
A Dangerous Method – not even Fassbender could redeem this. I couldn’t get past Keira Knightley’s ridiculous Russian accent. A particular lowlight was her “acting” hysterical by jutting out her (considerable) jaw to superhuman lengths – a cinema moment blessedly free from 3D treatment!

Best
Actor –
George Clooney (The Decendants)
Actress –
Charlize Theron (Young Adult)
Supporting actor -  
Javier Bardem (Skyfall)
Supporting actress –
Carey Mulligan (Shame)
(and worst) Prosthetic –
Olivia Colman’s nose as Carol Thatcher (The Iron Lady)

Just outside the Top 10
Hunger games
Argo
Rust and Bone
The Imposter

Top 10

10 – Chronicle
Teens getting super powers is a familiar trope but I thought this was an innovative and fresh take on it. Much more interesting than the like of The Amazing Spiderman.

9 – Marvel Avengers Assemble
Continuing a theme - another super powered people film! Though this was a straight up romp. I enjoyed the scale of this film – bringing together an ensemble of characters (mostly) strong enough to head up their own franchises. An enjoyable romp but lacking depth to get higher up the list.

8 – Skyfall
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. Great pace and excitement throughout. Really enjoyed Javier Bardem’s turn as the creepy antagonist.

7 – Silver Linings Playbook
Loved this indie comedy. Extremely compelling performances from the two leads (surprisingly good from Cooper). Thought the dialogue was excellent.

6 – Michael
This study of the daily life of a child abuser was both powerful and disturbing.

5 – Shame
I wasn’t bowled over by this initially as I know others were. However, certain moments in the film and the excellent performances stayed with me long after.

4 –Young Adult
Loved Theron as the self-obsessed writer returning to steal her high school boyfriend away. Impressed by the refusal to succumb to sentimentality.

3 – Dark Knight Rises
Brilliant and epic conclusion to the Nolan trilogy (and more superhero action on my list)! I liked the scale of this - especially the impression of a city being under siege in the final act.

2 – Amour
Beautiful and moving study of an elderly couple as one declines into extreme infirmity. I thought it captured  the sense of decline and the incremental strain on the couple extremely well.

1 – The Descendants
Loved this. Shows how film making can be great without being in your face. Clooney was great playing against type.

1 comment:

  1. ooh - that fight will be on for the top places.
    Geoff & Adam we await yours...its nearly February!

    ReplyDelete