Wednesday 9 January 2013

PG Films of 2012

Ok, I'm in to Blogger... finally...
I would also like to Caveat that I haven't yet seen Rust & Bone, The Master or Hunger Games, some of which may otherwise have made my top ten. 

As always my top ten promises to be conventional and controversial (at the same time) and (hopefully) skew the list of lists...

p.s. just watched Tyrannosaur which is an enormously powerful and brilliantly made film with superb acting. I was literally hiding behind my jumper the suspense was so great! Not sure any of these in the top ten are as good as that, actually!

Worst Movies, or I prefer to say, most disappointing

1. Prometheus. Formulaic and predictable. I don't like it when archaeology is taken in vain
2. Total Recall (remake). I saw this just after I saw the original and it was therefore a disappointment. Liked the concept of travelling through the centre of the earth to travel from place to place and Colin Farrell is gorgeous in the opening sequence...
3. Skyfall. I felt really bad for not liking it but I thought the plot didn't hang together - it was a series of random amazingly filmed scenes but without proper links. Interesting it didn't make it any higher than number ten...

Best

10. Detachment. UK release in 2012, I found the lead character, a substitute teacher, compelling. Fascinating how his relationships with three women could tell us so much (and yet so little) about him

9. The Imposter. An intriguing tale that generating plenty of discussion and afterthought. 

8. Coriolanus. I love the great Shakespearean language and the epic-ness of this film.

7. John Carter. I know this was a Holywood flop, but I thought the money was well spent in creating a beautiful and imaginative fantasy world. I really enjoyed the adventure!

6. Moonrise Kingdom. This film made me laugh and smile a lot. Cute story told in a fun and vibrant way

5. War Horse. Not usually interested in films about animals, but I love the historical drama of this WWI classic

4. Looper. Clever film with plenty of twists and turns. My favourite dystopian film of the year!

3. Shame. Beautifully told story. The rendition of New York, New York by Carey Mulligan is breathtaking and sums up the whole film

2. Silver Linings Playbook. This film had such a wonderful happy ending with impassioned performances throughout.

1. The Hobbit, an unexpected journey. I just love adventures, and I can't fault this film (even though it was very long). I love the characters, the mammoth task of the journey, the creation of other worlds and an epic history. As you can imagine, can't wait for the next two installments!


No comments:

Post a Comment