Sunday 6 January 2013

DM's Films of 2012


Overall, not a outstanding year for film I felt (perhaps I saw the wrong films). But nonetheless I did see films I very much enjoyed and those less so. I was waiting until I saw Life of Pi to complete my top 10 list...I needn't have waited.

Obligatory caveats...I did not see Amour or Sightseers, which I feel that would be exactly my type of humour...Sightseers that is and not old people being ill.

So here we go...

 

Worst movies of the year

The Iron Lady: Concur with previous comments. I thought Meryl was good but didn't want to see her put clothes in bin bags for 2 hours at the sake of having the 80s being summarised in a 2 minute montage.
The Raven: Not sure why I went to see this in the first place...it stank!
Michael: Offensively dull.
Carnage: Who would have thought such a great cast could be in such a bad film? 
A Dangerous Method: Yawn.

 

Best...

Actor: Joaquin Phoenix/Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Master
Actress: Charlize Theron (Young Adult
Supporting Actor: Michael Fassbender (Prometheus...he has to be in my list somewhere)
Supporting Actress: Carey Mulligan (Shame)

 

Just outside the Top 10

Rust and Bone
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Marvel Avengers Assemble

 

Top 10

10     Skyfall
How a blockbuster should be...fun, exciting and high quality through and through. Restores my faith in cinema by showing that megabudgets can be spent wisely. Javier Bardem = Best Bond villain ever.

9       Jeff Who Lives At Home
A little cracker of a comedy. One of those films I wasn't expecting much from but delivered plenty.

8      The Imposter
Adding proof to the hackneyed cliche that "truth is stranger than fiction". A brilliantly constructed documentary.

7      The Master
I'm always wary of the critic's choice (I've been burnt by Melancholia, Tree of Life in recent years) but this in my top 10. It is a little wanky and "Cinema"-like with a capital c, but the strength of the performances by the 2 male leads, direction and cinematography make this a gem of a film. A great love story.

6      Moonrise Kingdom
I'm a fan of Wes Anderson and this did not disappoint...unapologetically quirky, this delighted me and planted a smile on my face.

5      Silver Linings Playbook
A lovely little romcom about mental illness. Jennifer Lawrence is one to watch (a good couple of years for her) and is cracking in this film. Bradley Cooper is also surprisingly good.

4      Dark Knight Rises
Actually, sorry Skyfall, this is how blockbusters should be made. Epic cinema. Great plot and pacing. The effects had me staring open mouthed at the screen. It contained a very contemporary theme...no, not Savile but bankers (the other evil people). Breathtaking.

3      The Descendants
A masterclass in understated acting/writing. Full of restraint and tenderness, this film had me in tears. 

2      Young Adult
Funny, fucked-up and dark, dark, dark....exactly my kind of comedy. Charlize turns in such a memorable comic performance. Also a great comment on modern society where Kardashian-esque reality shows are flooding the airwaves. I thoroughly enjoyed the non-judgmental ending and how this film concluded.

1      Shame
This has been the one to beat for me all year and no-one has managed it. A beautifully uncomfortable movie. I reread my blog on this from January and it still stands true. Confrontational and challenging, this got into my head and deeply affected me for a good few days after the movie. Beautifully shot, acted and crafted this still disturbs/thrills me (I might watch it later actually!)

No comments:

Post a Comment