Tuesday 31 January 2012

Coriolanus - DM Review

As neither a huge fan nor aficionado of Shakespeare, I think I was always going to struggle with this one. Ultimately this bored me. Strong performances all round (especially Jon Snow!) were not enough to hold my interest. I have enjoyed previous modern adaptations of Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet, Richard III with Ian McKellen) but this failed to hit the mark with me. I can see why this isn't one of his big hitting plays...the plot is light. I guess it is more of a character assessment but I didn't get that from this film.


Definitely one for true Shakespeare lovers


Score: 4/10

1 comment:

  1. Yep - a bit of a let down. Going for BIG staging - which was completely let down by having the same meagre 'crowd'. Vanessa Regrave was fab and some of the richness of language excellent - but ultimately unmoving because of a lead character with such selfish motives I had no time for him.

    Score 5/10

    ReplyDelete