Thursday 19 January 2012

Shame - DM review

I fucking loved this film!

On the surface a fascinating and brutal study of an individual afflicted with addiction. But unlike drugs or alcohol, the substance craved is held in the power of other people thus adding an interesting layer of complexity. A flirty encounter on the tube, which is beautifully crafted and acted with no words (much more effectively than The Artist!) frustratingly leads to nowhere. The "score" is never certain. 

The film is extremely stark, cold and the protagonist deliberately detached. I have heard this as a criticism of the film but I believe that this is its major asset. The atmosphere of the film perfectly reflects the condition Brandon occupies. He cannot physically function (quite literally) when any emotion or human relation is present. We want to understand him but he won't allow us. The coldness of the film also allows the moments of emotion to come hurtling out of the screen. The moment where Brandon breaks the fourth wall with a look of pure pain and anguish, at the supposed moment of ecstasy, electrified me.

The direction is bold, beautiful and brave. Scenes are intentionally strung out...and they do go on. A lot of the camera shots are steady frames (except with the stunning and much talked about "running scene" which is breathtaking). This entrusts and allows the actors to go free and the benefits are reaped. Fassbender and Mulligan give outstanding and totally believable performances and the messed-up relationship between the two is a wonder to watch. In my screening (as with Mark's) people were leaving the theatre...McQueen has prolonged the sex scenes, daring us to turn away, making us confront our own ideas of sex. 

I found this film truly thought-provoking and affecting. I have kept returning to question it and the more I do so the more I love it. I could easily go on and on and on (much like a scene from this film) but I shall refrain.

The "Top 10 Films of the Year" list is 12 months away, but I think I have found my winner within the 1st couple of weeks.

Score: 9/10

2 comments:

  1. Setting the early pace just like Blue Valentine last year. Quite what these two movies as a double bill says about our approach to love and relationships...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete